Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I suffer from anxiety so not sure if im over reacting or not

I suffer from anxiety so not sure if im over reacting or not. Would you be able to help me with a question pls? About 2 weeks ago o got a sharp pain in my right side and felt very lightheaded. It lasted for about 5 mins and then left me with lower abdominal discomfort. After making an apt with a locum gp who is filling in for my gp o was frantic and she did nothing to put me at ease. There was bloid in my urine and my cervix was very red. She booked me in for a colposcopy and an ultrasound and told me i would have to wait a few months. I was so upset the next mprning i drove to a&e where they took bloods, a urine sample, several smears and an ultrasound.  I am a 43 year old woman happily married with 3 beautiful children 9,6,4. I have always had a regular menstrual cycle and my smears are checked every 3 years and have always been normal. In the hospital the ultrasound came back completely clear. They said yes my cervix was red and that there was blood in the urine and that one of my bloods showed an inflamation. They said there was an obvious infection somewhere and have put me on dalacin c tablets for ten days. 3 tablets every six hours. And ciprofloxin 2tablets twice daily for 2 weeks. However with only 5 days left on these antibiotics the discomfort is still there. I cannot sleeep with the dread it is something awful. I feel cold and have no apetite but presumably this is cos of anxiousness. I also forgot to mention that for the last goid few months a couple of days before my period arrived id get a small bit of pink while wiping myself but then my period would could a few days after. Could you please advise me what to do. I wpuld be sp grateful. I have just had a small bit of bleeding today but my period is due this week so im hoping that its just that. Thanks so much in afvance.

Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Dr. K. :

It sounds like you have a bladder infection

Dr. K. :

I am hoping they sent a urine for culture

Dr. K. :

It may take 7-10 days for the symptoms to completely go away so not to worry.

Dr. K. :

You are married, so unless you feel you are at risk of a sexually transmitted disease, a pelvic infection is not likely.

Dr. K. :

If you have a fever or worsening pain, you should be seen at an emergency clinic

Customer: I have been on the antibiotics for over ten days now and pain is still the same. Not worse just discomfort like a menstrual pain. I am cold but don't have a fever so putting that down to anxiety. Can a severe bladder infection take over two weeks to clear. Many thanks
Dr. K. :

No you should feel better in 3-5 days. I think you need to be seen by a Dr again.

Dr. K. :

Do you want to post the results of your urine and blood?