Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

, I am 30, and on birthcontrol pills year. I

Customer Question

I am 30, and on birthcontrol pills for a year. I am taking 21 pack pills, and I forgot to take the 19-th pill at the usual time, i took it on the same day, but more than 11 hours later. My period was always more or less in time, but now it's 5 days late. There was only something light brown for 2 days, but very small amount. I already made two pregnancy tests, both came out negative, and I'm really worried, I have no idea what to do, because getting an appointment at my GP would took more than a week. If you have any advice about mu situation, please let me know.
Regards,
Renata
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello Renata, and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Most women get lighter periods while taking the pill, and sometimes they get so light that they hardly come at all. I think this is what has happened with you. As long as your pregnancy test is negative, you can just keep taking the pill in the usual manner.
Missing a pill but taking it later the same day still leaves you well protected. I'm not sure whether the late pill had anything to do with the very light period.
I think your GP will tell you the same thing (probably after repeating the pregnancy test), so you may not need to go in.
If you miss your next period (and your pregnancy test is negative), you might want to talk to your doctor about changing pills. However, some women don't get periods on the pill, and they don't mind. It's not harmful for you to have little or no period on the pill.