Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
54412793

there I have the Mirena coil years - no irregular

Hi there I have the Mirena coil for two years - no irregular bleeding except once a few months ago with a small nit of bloody discharge.
I just had another episode of bloody discharge - a small amount after intercourse. I have no back pain or pain during sex but still worried - I have a pap scheduled for two weeks time but some reassurance or advice would be great
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Dr. C. :

Yes please let me reassure you. This is not a worrisome description.

I'm Dr. C. A board certified gynecologist with 30 years experience. I do specialize in IUD issues and have extensive experience with IUD management.

Dr. C. :

As well as you aren't bleeding heavily, have no fever and no serious pain, a check up in 2 weeks is fine.

Dr. C. :

Having sex causes contractions of the uterus and some blood collected inside may have been pushed out.

Dr. C. :

Be sure to tell the doctor what happened. They may run a pregnancy test just to be 100% sure, make sure there is no infection and pap smear is up to date.

Dr. C. :

This type of bleeding is very common with the Mirena and isn't usually much of a worry.

Dr. C. :

Please reply if I can clarify anything or you have additional questions.

I want to be sure you have the most reassuring and helpful information for your situation.

Dr. C.

Customer:

OK I just worry about something like cervical cancer - my last pap was a year and 4 months ago and was all clear - I just dont want to be worried now in between my appointment and now

Dr. C. :

If you've not had any abnormal paps and are up to date on screening, the risk of cervical cancer is VERY VERY LOW.

Dr. C. :

It sounds pretty typical for the Mirena.

Customer:

Ok great thanks for the reassurance :)

Dr. C. :

A home pregnancy test or one at the doctors office would be reassuring just for the sake of low risk paranoia.

Dr. C. :

Glad to help. Anything else for today?

Customer:

OK - I will try for that - is this usual for pregnancy?

Customer:

I have been eating double the amount than normal

Dr. C. :

No but any time a woman who has been having sex has anything weird or different going on, we ALWAYS need to be sure she's not pregnant. This risk in this situation is VERY LOW.

Dr. C. :

It sounds pretty normal for the Mirena. With sex triggering the uterus to push some extra blood out.

Customer:

Ok great thanks and goodnight :)

Dr. C. :

Nothing needs to be done right now if the bleeding isn't heavy, no fever and no pain.

Dr. C. :

Ok, glad to help.

Customer:

no fever, no pain no heavy bleeding :) thanks

Dr. C. :

Thanks for using our service. I aim for excellent.