Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

My mother had a vaginal pessary fitted yesterday because of

My mother had a vaginal pessary fitted yesterday because of a prolapse of the bladder. She is fine walking and standing and has no problems passing water or with a bowel movement. However when she stoops or bends down she feels pain and has to sit down very slowly to avoid pain. Is this normal and will it just take a few days for her to get use to the pessary?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Most women have no pain after having a pessary fitted. However, as long as the pain doesn't persist, I suspect that over time the pain will decrease and disappear. Apparently the pessary is pressing on a nerve or something when your mother stoops and bends.
If the pain persists, I would recommend that your mother return to her doctor. Perhaps a different size or shape of pessary will relieve the pain.
I doubt that the pain means anything serious. Hopefully it will be just a matter of time fior her body to adjust to the pessary and she'll no longer have pain. Best wishes to you both.