Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
54412793

I have a bump the size of a marble below my clitoris. It occurred

I have a bump the size of a marble below my clitoris. It occurred the day after I had an allergic reaction to a bath product. I have took Benadryl and pain killers, tried sitz baths and hot compresses and nothing takes the pain away. I nearly fainted in pain and that scares me.. I have tried to see my GP and there is no appointments for a week. So I went to a walk in centre and the doctor said it'll go away on its own and I wasn't told what it was. What could it be?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Dr. C. :

Hi, My name is*****'m a board- certified Ob-Gyne. Most likely this is a blocked gland. There are hundreds of glands in the genital area. Sometimes some dead skin will get pushed into one of the gland openings and block the secretions from draining. This caused a round tender bump. Continue to do the warm compresses and Sitz baths, for 10 minutes at a time at least 4 times daily. Ibuprofen can decrease pain and inflammation if you're able to take it. If it's not gone by the time of your appointment, it may need to be drained. I hope this was helpful. Please reply if I can clarify anything. I want to be sure you have the most helpful information for your situation.

Customer: I actually woke up today and it's gone! Thankyou for clarifying what it was though very helpful. Are they a recurring thing?
Dr. C. :

They can be recurring. They do tend to happen if there has been sweaty moist rubbing such as with sex or exercise wearing tight clothes like lycra shorts.

Dr. C. :

So showering after sweaty rubbing conditions helps prevent recurrence. Also wearing loose cotten breathable clothes when exercising can also help avoid them.

Dr. C. :

In women who have a lot of trouble with them, we add plain soap scrubs 2-3 x weekly to remove the dead skin that tends to get pushed into the gland pores.

Dr. C. :

These blocked glands are very common and not a sign of anything worrisome.

Dr. C. :

I'm glad my answer was helpful. Let me know if I can clarify anything further.