Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

, I had a pelvic ultrasound to check if everything is normal

Customer Question

Hi, I had a pelvic ultrasound to check if everything is normal as I am having discharge with some blood streaks between period. I have had a copper IUD for 3 years now.
Pap smear is normal and doctor rested for all STDs which all came back normal.
Findings of ultrasound is that uterus is normal size, IUCD in good position, No evidence of fibroids, no obvious Adnexal cyst or mass noted.
My question is for the following two observations on the ultrasound:
RT Ovary= has a 15 mm Follicle
LT Ovary has two small follicles
Small amount of fluid see in POD, probably physiological
I am on Day 4 of my period as well.
What do the follicles in ovaries mean? and is this a normal count as am suspecting hormonal (menopause) changes.
And what is the fluid in the POD?
thanks
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Small follicles are normally found in the ovaries of women who are having periods. They just mean that your ovaries are still working. It says nothing about whether you are close to menopause.
The fluid in the POD is either normal pelvic fluid or possibly blood. It's not unusual for some blood to go out through the tubes when a woman is having her period.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you for the reply but is the number of follicles in each ovary normal or low?

I think you may be confusing these follicles with an antral follicle count, which can be done as a measure of ovarian reserve. That's when all the follicles from 2-9mm are counted, and more follicles means more ovarian reserve. An antral follicle count is not done unless a woman is concerned about her fertility.
So the number of follicles seen in your ovaries is normal.
Thank you for your payment and rating.