Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am very anxious about my pap smear. It has been 2.5 years. I am going on Tuesday

Customer Question

hello I am very anxious about my pap smear. It has been 2.5 years.
I am going on Tuesday for my pap smear but I am nervous.
I normally go every 2 years but im 5months late now.
I have had 1 boyfriend for about 1 years and some other partners since that.
I am scared because I am 5 months late.
I was reading a response that you gave someone and it made me feel better because you said it takes 2.5- years for the HPV to develop?
I just am scared is the 2 year pap normally enough? I just keep thinking what if something went wrong after my last pap smear - would I have symptoms.
I am 5 months late . I am worried.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Actually, the current recommendations in the US is for women to have Pap smears every 3 years, so here you wouldn't even be late here.
Cervical cancer takes many years to develop, which is why you don't need Pap smears more than every 2-3 years.
We pretty much don't see cervical cancer any more except in women who never get Pap smears.
There are lots of things in life to worry about. No Pap smear for 2 1/2 years is not worth worrying about. Best wishes.
Thank you for your payment and rating and the bonus.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was told unless I have bleeding etc I shouldn't worry.

and that in the 2.5 years its just to check abnormal cells and that can be treated if it appears?

If there are cancer cells is their symptoms?

ive never had abnormal results before but just wondering.

Yeah I know 5months over my normal 2 years has created all sorts of anxiety I cant explain.

Thankyou

Almost all abnormal bleeding in young women such as yourself is due to hormonal changes or fibroids, not cervical cancer.
In case an abnormal Pap smear is found, it's almost always due to precancerous changes which are easily treated. It's been so long since I've seen cervical cancer that I can hardly remember.
Most cancer causes no symptoms until late. That's why it's so great to have Pap smears, which pick up changes years before cancer develops.
As long as you get Pap smears when your doctor recommends, you will never get cervical cancer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How many years does precancerous take to develop into cancerous?

I wonder why its every 2 years in Australia and 3 years in USA.

It takes 5-15 years for precancerous cells to become cancer.
It used to be every year in the USA. Recently we've been changing to longer intervals. I suspect that it will be every 3 years soon in Australia.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I feel that the information you have given me has now given me a better understanding about it all.

5-15 years makes me feel that having my pap smear now is fine :)

Sounds good. :-)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi I went and did the pap smear.

She wants me to see a psychiatrist in a way I understand.

While she did the pap smear or preparing she said there was a lot of discharge.

Whitish - yellow.

she cleaned it then did the pap smear. She is a GP.

is that an infection?

A few days ago I had sex and then I felt burning. and then when I went to the bathroom I felt burning too.

what is this discharge? I dont get itching.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

and it also feels like I have to pee when I have sex.

Lots of women have quite a bit of discharge. For most it's normal.
Discharge can also be from an STD, so if you haven't been checked, it's probably a good idea.
Burning when urinating can be a sign of a urinary infection or an STD, or it might just be some irritation from intercourse. If it persists, be sure to get it checked.
Burning from sex can be from irritation, possible allergy to latex or something, or possibly a yeast infection. However, a yeast infection without itching is pretty unusual.
A feeling of having to pee when having sex could be from pressure on the bladder or an STd or a urinary infection. If it happens when your bladder is empty, get it checked out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The burning was happening during sex not straight away - then when I when to urinate it felt my skin was burning.

Maybe I wasn't lubricated enough and it irritated it.

STD - I just did a swab and pap smear.

Yikes STD - are these treatable -

When you say burning during urination can be from STD - do you mean urinating any time? or urinating after sex burning

The main STD's to worry about are gonorrhea and chlamydia. Both can cause burning with urination and discharge. Both can be detected by swab or urine testing. Both are very treatable.
Yes, not enough lubrication can cause irritation.
If the burning during urination is only after sex, it's more likely from irritation.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I recently had a blood test and urine test.

It said my urine had mild pyruia and hematuria.

Also was given PTU for thyroid although another doctor said this should of been retested in a few months before medicine.

You see I was told I have IBS years ago

Then Lactose intolerance

I have upper an lower back severe discomfort every morning. Only on the right sight - I wake up with nausea ( not pregnant ) and girgling no stomach pains but sick feeling and I feel it on the lower right abdomen.

it feel very tender - there was a period a month ago I was so sick with diarrhea - I have lost 5 kilos and my appetite has never been the same,

So as you can see I have a lot of symptoms. including the new ear issue on the right side again.

I had a pelvic ultrasound which was fine.

I know with thyroid you can lose weight but not appetite when its hyperthyroid. How do I know what all my symptoms are from when I have been diagnosed with so many things.

Thankyou

You do have many symptoms.
The best you can do is to find a good doctor that you trust, and then tell your doctor your symptoms and let the doctor figure it all out.