Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

2 periods after sex in 2 weeks also on nexplanon

I've had a second period in 2 weeks. the first came literally a couple hours after sex and these were both a surprise after being on nexplanon and not having a period in 8 months

Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.
These are not periods, but are break through bleeding. Since you have not had a period for six months, it means the Nexplanon has thinned the uterine lining. This is normal and desired. Sometimes when this happens there can be irregular bleeding that is unpredictable. Sexual intercourse may start it up. It is not a period but is unscheduled bleeding so cannot be expected to be on a regular schedule. Hopefully it will not return.