Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I'm unsure as to whether I have had an early miscarriage and

Customer Question

I'm unsure as to whether I have had an early miscarriage and would like an opinion on the matter.
My cycles are usually around 29 days long and by day 34 I still had no period. During this cycle I had experienced increase breast tenderness and swelling (noticed by my partner) as well as food cravings (I'm a vegetarian and I don't even like most meat and I wanted meat so bad) and fatigue -I have a 5 year old and had similar symptoms in early pregnancy with her. I tested twice on day 34 midday and they came back faint positive.
On what would have been day 35 of my cycle I started bleeding heavily after midday. This was after lots of sudden cramping that came on after a day of feeling tender and bloated and lower back pain (and subsequently intense diarrhoea and bowel spasms after but I have gastro problems anyway.) The flow was very very heavy and had a lot of clots and material in it not huge in size, about medium but large quantities of material in the liquid (I don't normally get clots very often and when I do they are not in large volumes) I had to wear nigh-time heavy flow long sanitary pads and change them every hour or so (not common for me at all) and I could feel episodes of my body expelling/gushing and I'd have to go to the toilet as it was a lot at once.
The flow reduced overnight but when I stood up in the morning i needed to hot foot it to the loo pronto because of good old gravity. That day I got down to changing sanitary pads every 3hrs by the afternoon but still lots of 'material' in the flow.
Day 3 I had brownish pink discharge upon waking but this dissipated and by my second trip to the toilet that day no longer had that or any clots and basically just had a whitish pink mucus type fluid (slightly brownish at start of day) when i wiped throughout the day. The fluid was noticeable and more abundant than my normal levels of discharge apart from maybe the amount when ovulating. This continued for four days and getting lighter but noticeable when cleaning up after sex.
I've been using a Persona monitor to access my cycles and as contraceptive method. Im on my second cycle with this one of using it and it has been giving me a red 'no sex' light since Day 6 of this cycle and showing a second line (for ovulation hormone) but faint on any test sticks since then. My breast tenderness is decreasing now and my cravings have gone and bloating has decreased but I am still very fatigued and run down.
I have abnormally high levels of Oestrogen and had Cervical ectropion diagnosed approx a year ago and had the entire cervical epithelium area burnt away (this has healed with no signs of ever happening, I had a smear 4 weeks ago and she could not tell I had even had the procedure carried out.) I am also hyper-mobile and had my waters break in my previous pregnancy at 7months and experienced symphysis pubis dysfunction from very early in my previous pregnancy and required crutches.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
It sounds like a definite miscarriage to me. You were late, had pregnancy symptoms and a positive pregnancy test. Then you bled heavily and passed apparent tissue. Now you're tired, probably from the amount of bleeding plus the whole experience.
I would recommend taking iron pills once or twice daily, plus eat well. You should gradually get back to normal. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The fact my monitor is giving me a red light since Day 6 of this new cycle (starting on presumed miscarriage as day 1) is throwing me as I shouldn't be ovulating this soon after either a late period or a miscarriage surely?

Is it possible my cycle monitor is picking up post Miscarriage hormones etc. and giving me a false positive for ovulation?

Yes, it's possible that your monitor is picking up miscarriage hormones. Your monitor apparently tests for LH and estrogen. LH is similar in structure to HCG (pregnancy hormone), so the monitor may be detecting that. I suspect that the monitor may not be so accurate soon after a miscarriage.
It's also quite unpredictable as to when a woman will ovulate after a miscarriage.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay one last point.

Am I within reason to presume the cause for this miscarriage (though I am not trying for a baby at all) could be any of the following medications I'm currently taking the amounts detailed below of each day for other medical conditions:

Sertraline 200mg
Quitiapine 400mg
Propranolol 60mg
Mebeverine 405mg
Naproxen 500-100mg
Lansoprazole 60mg
Pregablin 125mg

Most miscarriages are caused by chromosomal abnormalities, and it's natures way of resolving them.
None of the medications you're taking are known to produce miscarriage. However, there is no way to know whether the combination of medications might possibly produce a miscarriage. But I think that is not likely.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Thank you for your payment and rating.