Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

The past few periods I've really struggled inserting tampons

Customer Question

The past few periods I've really struggled inserting tampons and with abdominal pain. I've stopped inserting the tampons as sometimes I feel I could pass out. But the pain is still there I feel pressure in my bowel and bladder, and the bladder area stings when i touched and if I lie on the left I ache. Once the period is over this then goes away. I am 27 have any abnormal bleeding, or pain and bleeding with sex. Any ideas what this could be? I am going to book in for my smear test asap but I dont have any weight loss etc either
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Abdominal and pelvic pain that comes with periods is most often due to endometriosis. This is a fairly common condition in women where the uterine lining (endometrium) grows outside the uterus, especially behind the uterus and on the ovaries. It would be unusual for it to grow in the vagina, but it's possible.
Usually endometriosis requires laparoscopy (putting a scope under the navel under anesthesia for a diagnosis. If found, it can be treated through the laparoscope or using special hormones. You would probably need a referral to an OB/GYN doctor for this. Best wishes.
Thank you for your payment and rating.