Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

If a woman has a subtotal hysterectomy which leaves the

Customer Question

If a woman has a subtotal hysterectomy which leaves the cervix and in addition has the ovaries removed will there be any monthly bleeding like a light period from the cervix due to endometrium cells? If not would use of oestrogen cream cause the cervix to bleed?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.
No. The cervix has no endometrial tissue and cannot bleed.
What often happens with a supracervical hysterectomy is that a small part of lower uterine segment is left. This has endometrial tissue. This causes a light period every month.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply but there was a bit more to the question. My original question asked whether the cervix if it had endometrial tissue left on it would still bleed monthly if the ovaries were removed as well as the uterus? Thank you
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
The cervix never has endometrial tissue in it. It is cervical tissue and is lined by endocervical glands. The uterus is lined by endometrial tissue. Only the uterus can form a lining that bleeds. So its not really possible to answer that question because this is an incorrect interpretation of anatomy. Its not how the female organs are designed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've ben told by my consultant that if the cervix is left there is a chance that I will have monthly light bleeding because of the reasons you noted in your first reply. she said that this should stop when I am in the menopause. I have been asked to consider having my ovaries removed. What I want to know is having the ovaries removed means surgical meopause so does that mean I won't have a monthly light bleed because the cervix is left in. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I specifically want to know if I have my cervix left and ovaries and uterus removed during hysterectomy will this mean the risk of light monthly bleeding is removed?
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
You're correct that if the cervix is left in place at the time of hysterectomy, it's possible to have bleeding (monthly or not) because of the reason Dr. K. mentioned endometrial tissue from the lower uterine segment).
If your ovaries are removed and there is no estrogen replacement given, there should be no bleeding.
Estrogen cream used in reasonable doses should not cause bleeding to occur.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Thank you for your payment and rating.