Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
54412793

I'm currently in Peru and am 5 months pregnant. Pregnancy is

Customer Question

I'm currently in Peru and am 5 months pregnant. Pregnancy is healthy with no complications and I am 28 and generally healthy. We're thinking of going for a trip to a Colca Canyon, which is at an altitude of about 3500m and we would be passing altitude of 4900 on our way (througha mountain passage). Is it safe for me and the baby? I've visited Machu Picchu at an elevation of 2800m and stayed in Sacred Valley at an elevation of 2500 for a couple of days and had no problems. Then stayed in Cusco at 3400m for 1 day and did have a headache. Is it ok to take the trip or could it put me or baby in danger? It's a one day trip back and forth.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to the site. My name is***** and I'll be providing your medical information today.

One day trip isn't likely to cause much trouble.

We do know that elevation leads to lower oxygen levels that could increase risk of poor growth of the baby in someone who isn't acclimated. So it would be a bad idea to early or mid pregnancy move to a location from sea level to altitude.

But single events like this lasting a day here and there aren't likely to cause any trouble.

Please reply if I can clarify anything or provide more detail.

I hope this information has been reassuring and helpful.