Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Im 6 weeks pregnant by u/s that was done yesterday

Customer Question

Im 6 weeks pregnant by u/s that was done yesterday with present heartbeat .
But im spotting since 20th of April.
Doctor was monitoring my bhCG levels which had a growth of around 60% per 48 hours, progesterone levels are good too. I have no cramping or other type of pain just continue spotting. Doctor can not tell me the reason behind this and im really concerned. How can I help myself to stop this bleeding and why this has occured?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Bleeding in early pregnancy is often cause for concern, since it is often the first sign of a miscarriage. However, once there is a normal heartbeat seen, the chance of miscarriage is fairly small.
Your bleeding is likely from some separation of the placenta from the uterine wall. No one knows why this occurs sometimes in early pregnancy, and there is no specific treatment for it.
Most likely the bleeding will stop on its own, hopefully soon. As long as the baby's heartbeat continues normally, the bleeding isn't bothering your baby.
Usually it's best to take things a little bit easy and avoid intercourse untiul the bleeding has stopped . You can probably go about normal daily activities.
I realize that it's distressing having bleeding like this, but most likely you'll have a good outcome and a normal baby. Best wishes.
Thank you for your payment and rating.