Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am using Mercilon (desogestrelum 0.15 mg/ethinylestradiolum

Customer Question

Hi, I am using Mercilon (desogestrelum 0.15 mg/ethinylestradiolum 0.02mg) and I missed my pill on Monday (I take it around 9 pm every day) and took it only on Tuesday (5 pm, so 20 hours late), after which I took my normal Tuesday pill (9 pm again, so took two pills in one day). I started the new pack a week before, on Tuesday, so the missed pill on Monday was the day 7, so it was still in the first week. I had unprotected intercourse every day in the week before. It's Wednesday today and I'm worried about getting pregnant. I read that it's ok to miss one (combined) pill if it's less than 24 hours, but now I read that after 12 hours (and with unprotected sex in the preceding week) I may become pregnant. Am I still protected against pregnancy? I didn't seek emergency contraception.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Expert opinion is that you are still protected if you only miss one pill, and you don't need emergency contraception. It would seem that you're not quite as protected as if you had never missed a pill, but nonetheless, pregnancy is extremely unlikely. Best regards.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Dr. Norm, thank you for your answer. So it is okay to miss a Mercilon pill (even if it is in the first week) by more than 12 hours (and less than 24 hours)?

Yes, it's OK. I would try not to miss any pills, but you are still pretty well protected.