Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I am pregnant at 6 weeks 2 days. I did my Progesterone blood

I am pregnant at 6 weeks 2 days. I did my Progesterone blood test and my result is 49.2 nmol/L. Is it low and do I have chances of miscarriage? Should I ask my doctor for supplements?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.
Progesterone does not mean much at all at 6 weeks. Supplementing with progesterone will not help at all this late.
If the fetus has a heart beat on ultrasound that is a normal rate and you are not bleeding then your chance of miscarriage is only about 1-3%. You cannot decrease it by adding progesterone.
Bloodwork at this stage is not useful. Your best predictor of a normal pregnancy is the ultrasound.