Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I had a hysterectomy 10 years ago, is the cervix removed at

Customer Question

I had a hysterectomy 10 years ago, is the cervix removed at the same time.
I am concerned as I have a iron smelling, brown discharge. I have been treated
for Thrush from a pharmacist.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Most of the time the cervix is removed at the time of hysterectomy, but occasionally the cervix is left in place. The cervix is always removed if it's a vaginal hysterectomy. Usually if the cervix remains, your doctor will tell you that you need to continue to have Pap smears.
So if you haven't been advised to have Pap smears, your cervix was probably removed at the hysterectomy.
A brown discharge suggests mild bleeding, so I would recommend seeing your doctor for an exam.
After a hysterectomy, vaginal bleeding is unusual. There shouldn't be bleeding or brown discharge from a thrush infection. It's possible that you have a vaginal polyp or other growth that is bleeding, and there may be a chance of cancer.
Your doctor will do an exam and should be able to tell if anything is bleeding, or else figure out the cause of the brown discharge and iron smell. Best wishes.
Thank you for your payment and rating.