Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

On depo but my doctor wants me to come off because of bone

On depo injection, but my doctor wants me to come off it because of bone density risks. what can i use to stop my periods ? asked for a hysterectomy but she said no. i am 47.

i have been offered the coil etc but don't really want that procedure as i am still a virgin.

please help !

Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 2 years ago.
Being on Depo for a long time can cause bone density risks. But the alternative to that is the Mirena IUD. You can also go in for a endometrial ablation - a procedure that will remove (ablate) or destroy the endometrial lining. That procedure is also done vaginally.
I am afraid that there are no oral medicines which will stop your period permanently. You can try birth control pills like Seasonique which prevent periods for 3 months at a time.