Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

There , I am worried about my periods and fertility.

Customer Question

Hello there , I am worried about my periods and fertility. My period comes only for 1 day and then I continue to have spotting for 3 days. Is this normal?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
How regular do your periods come?
Have your periods been this way ever since you began having periods?
Do you use anything for birth control?
Have you ever tried to become pregnant? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My periods are regular and on time. It's been coming like this for about 6 months now before it used to come for 2 to 3 days then spotting for another 2. I was trying to conceive but no luck. I am on no birth controls. I came off the injections two years now.

Some women have fairly light periods, and they are completely normal. However, since these periods are different than you've had in the past, I suspect they may mean that you're not ovulating.
Regular periods usually mean regular ovulation, but not always.
If you are ovulating every month, and you haven't had any surgical procedure on your uterus, then your fertility is most likely normal. However, if you're not ovulating regularly, that may be the reason that you haven't gotten pregnant.
If you see your doctor, a blood test for progesterone done 2 weeks before an expected period will determine whether you're ovulating. You could also try ovulation predictor tests at home. Just follow the directions.
If you are ovulating, I wouldn't worry. Periods tend to change for women over time. As long as there is regular ovulation, I don't think the 1 day periods and then spotting are a cause for concern.
If you're not ovulating, then there are pills your doctor can prescribe that you take each month to help induce ovulation. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. I will try the ovulation kit.

You're welcome.
Thank you for your payment and rating.