Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I was just wondering what symptoms a pelvic hernia would cause

I was just wondering what symptoms a pelvic hernia would cause and what symptoms would happen with venous congestion. I am trying to sort out my constant pain in the lower right hand side. There is a burning/aching pain when laying down and more so when sitting up...like at a table for dining or work. As if something is pressing down on it. Would a CT scan or MRI scan be of any use?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.
A hernia should be able to be picked up on physical exam. Mri and Ct is of no use. Venous congestion is only common with women who have had many children. Its questionable as to whether it is even a true medical entity. You more likely have musculoskeletal pain but if it persists, ct scan would rule out anything serious.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have had 2 children, the first was 8lb 12ozs naturally, the second was 11lbs 4ozs emergency csection. I am only 5 ft 1 ins and i also had excess fluid so i was huge. I already have varicose veins on my legs and have had them 4 yrs before children. I have had this pain for 6 months solid and similar pains intermittently for 10 yrs. Cysts have been ruled out, so has endo and nothing on sigmoidoscopy.

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
A Ct scan would rule out anything serious. You should consider back injury as damage can cause nerve pain referred to the pelvic area. More likely the pain may be a functional pain, related to functioning either of the bowel or the musculoskeletal system.