Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am a day late period, normally a regular 26 day

Customer Question

Hi I am a day late for my period, normally a regular 26 day cycle. I am trying to conceive my third child.
I had a positive Ovulation Kit on Tuesday 19th May, Period started 8th May, last period I tracked with Ovulation Kit and I started my period exactly 14 days after my positive Ovulation test.
I am 15dpo and still pulling negatives on my pregnancy test, I do remember when trying for my son 9 years ago that it took a week to get a positive.
The only thing I could think of that could possibly delay my period is a short course of amoxicillin on the Friday after my positive Ovulation test, for a tooth abscess for one week.
What is the likely hood that I am pregnant, we did time intercourse well. Just wondering if my abscess is to blame or that I am pregnant but not detecting it, I used a early testing kit this morning.
Please advise.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Did you test on a first morning urine this morning?
Were you very sick with your tooth abscess? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes first urine and no not very sick, just swollen and painful gums, took about 5 days from taking amoxicillian to reduce and feel better

Usually a first morning urine will be positive by the time you miss your period. However, since you had a positive ovulation test, I suspect that you're pregnant. Perhaps implantation was a little slower than sometimes occurs. I would test again tomorrow morning.
Antibiotics won't usually affect ovulation or conception, but illness can do so. Since you had already ovulated by the time you got sick, I doubt that the illness changed anything.
Even with perfectly timed intercourse, there is at best a 25% chance that pregnancy will occur. So maybe your period will come today. But if it doesn't, I suspect that you're pregnant, and your test will be positive tomorrow or the next day. Good luck!
Thank you for your payment and rating.