Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am slightly concerned because my period has been delayed

Customer Question

Hi, I am slightly concerned because my period has been delayed by over two weeks now. I cannot be pregnant as I have never had sex. I have been very ill for about 2-3 weeks now, including taking antibiotics and reacting allergically to them. Could this be the cause of the delay? Should I be worried and is there anything I can do?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
I wouldn't be worried. It's not unusual that your illness has caused you to miss your period.
Sometimes stress or illness can prevent a woman from ovulating. Since ovulation is what brings on a period 2 weeks later, the period may not come.
As long as you have recovered, your periods should get back to normal. Sometimes in such a situation, you might develop prolonged bleedng or spotting in case ovulation takes a while to return. In that case, better to see your doctor for some hormone pills to resolve it. Best wishes.
Thank you for your payment and rating and the bonus!