Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I took emergency contraception about three days before I

Customer Question

I took emergency contraception about three days before I expected my period and I got my period about five days after taking the pill. On the second day of my period in which I was bleeding heavily, I had unprotected sex and my partner ejaculated inside me. It is currently day five of my period and I am still experiencing bleeding, although light. I am aware that the chances of becoming pregnant are slimmer while menstruating but I wanted to ask if Plan B can cause me to ovulate sooner after my period. This would concern me as it would mean I have a possibility of becoming pregnant with early ovulation and the possibility of the semen still being present. Should another dose of Plan B be taken? I am having cramping in my right ovary that I typically feel during ovulation but I'm not sure if these are just period cramps or ovulation cramps.

Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Plan B doesn't cause early ovulation. The chance of becoming pregnant during a heavy period is close to zero.
Although some sperm can survive for 5 days, the chance that sperm will cause a pregnancy 5 days after ejaculation is extremely remote (probably never happens). Most of the sperm have died, and it does require millions of sperm to cause a pregnancy, even though only one enters the egg.
So I don't think that you need to take Plan B again. Normally it takes at least 7 days after a period starts before ovulation can occur.
Thank you for your payment and rating.