Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I quit the pills last july and my period was very irregular

Customer Question

Hi. I quit the pills last july and my period was very irregular (i guess thats normal) till around december. From january on it was always dead on the time and came with the long forgotten period cramps that i used to have before i started the pills. Now i am 21 days late. I am having menstrual cramps but no blood. Occasional all day nausea ( 2-3 days out of 7) and sore breast. I did 3 pregnancy test a week apart from each other all came back negative. Should I worry?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
I wouldn't worry. Since your pregnancy test is negative, it means that you didn't ovulate this month. Ovulation is what brings on a period 14 days later.
When you were having irregular periods, that suggests that you weren't ovulating every month, so it's not so surprising that you didn't ovulate this month.
When a woman doesn't ovulate, her ovaries may continue to be stimulated which can cause high estrogen levels. The high estrogen is what causes the nausea and sore breasts.
It generally takes care of itself. If it happens again, and you wish to become pregnant, I would see your doctor for help to be sure you ovulate every month.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What about the sever cramps? What is the explanation for that? Since the day I was supposed to have my period I have ongoing cramps in my lower part of my stomach. (also as fact me and my husband indeed trying to get pregnant. I am more worried about if something is wrong with my health not that I might be pregnant)

I suspect that the cramps are due to the buildup of your uterine lining over time. Your uterus knows that the lining is thick and should come out. At some point you'll likely start bleeding.
The only thing that might be seriously wrong with your health would be a possible ectopic pregnancy, but that seems pretty unlikely. With an ectopic, the pain is generally on one side and doesn't feel like menstrual cramps. There is almost always mild bleeding. If you're concerned about, see your doctor. A negative hcg will rule out ectopic pregnancy.