Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I have been having bad bleeding after intercourse and

Customer Question

I have been having bad bleeding after intercourse and frequent heavy discharge. The doctor tested me for STIs all of which were negative. I had my bloods done which were all normal. Today I went to the GP who did an internal examination during which my cervix bled to the touch and she said she saw areas of white but it was difficult to see due to the blood. She has urgently referred me to hospital and says cervical cancer is one of a few things it can be. I'm worried sick and wondering if it sounds like is definitely cervical cancers or can it be anything else. I'm aged 33 and otherwise healthy.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Have you had regular Pap smears in the past?
When was your last Pap smear? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My last smear test was 18months ago and was clear.
If you've been having Pap smears as recommended, and had a normal Pap smear 18 months ago, then the chance of cervical cancer is extremely low. Cervical cancer takes many years to develop, and the beauty of Pap smears is that they can find abnormal changes years before cancer develops.
So I don't think you have cervical cancer. It's too bad that your GP didn't do a biopsy of the cervix, which is fairly simple to do, and that would tell us.
It's hard to guess what is causing the bleeding without seeing your cervix. And even your GP didn't see it very well because of the blood. I think most likely a biopsy will be needed, and then the microscopic exam will tell us what it is. For your peace of mind, I hope you can get the biopsy done soon. Best wishes.
Thank you for your payment and rating.