Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Dr, I'm 52years old and had laparoscopy done 8/9 weeks ago

Customer Question

Hi Dr, I'm 52years old and had laparoscopy done 8/9 weeks ago to remove a cyst & fybroid. Is it normal to have a few bright red spots or brown discharge now this last 2/3days? I have also recently started getting my perid every two months. Is this also something to do with post operation?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Were you having periods before the operation? If so, what were they like?
Do you take any medications?
When was your last Pap smear? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes i did get regular period till oct last year. Then it was every two months. My last pep smear was last year and was normal.
Most likely your periods and spotting have little or nothing to do with your operation. At age 52, periods often become less frequent.
The spotting should probably be checked out by your doctor. It suggests that there is some buildup of the uterine lining that isn't getting cleaned off with your periods. That buildup can sometimes lead to uterine cancer over time.
Your doctor can check it out by doing an endometrial biopsy (thin tube through the cervix). If there is some buildup, then some progesterone pills will help to clean it off.
Thank you for your payment and rating and the bonus!