Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
54412793

I'm female aged 25. I've noticed that my has turned from

I'm female aged 25.
I've noticed that my cum has turned from clear to yellow and now brown. I saw my health nurse and she mentioned that I had thrush for the first time. Now that it has recovered, I thought I'd have sex with my partner and we noticed that my cum has turned brown. It's had us both worried. I'm on desogestrel and I've had problems ever since I've been on this. Could the brown cum just be a side effect from a period that never happened but remains with some slight brown colouring after I've been for a wee?
I'm not sure if I need to see a doctor or whether this is normal but I'm totally freaking out.
Thank you for any advice being given.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to the site. My name is***** and I'll be providing your medical information today.

The brown color is old blood. It may just be from adjusting to the desogestrel. It might be helpful to have another exam to make sure that the infection has cleared up completely because any kind of infection or irritation of the cervix can also cause some old blood oozing to cause brownisg discharge.

Usually this type of discharge is nothing serious. Just a matter of figure out what's causing it and solving that.

I hope this was reassuring. Please reply if I can clarify anything.