Monika Hearne, M.D.
Monika Hearne, M.D., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  With experience and compassion, I treat my patients like family.
26166488

I messaged the other day having been referred

Customer Question

I messaged the other day having been referred for an urgent gyno appointment. I spoke to my GP today who said my cervix was severally inflamed, bleeding and had similar appearance to a califlower.
My last smear was 18months ago and was clear however based on my symptoms and what she has seen the only diagnosis I can see is advanced cervical cancer.
Is there anything else it might be? And if it is cancer is it likely it is severe and advanced given the obvious symptoms, how it looks and the fact my smear was clear so recently?
Also my general blood work was clear should I take comfort in this that it may not have spread?
Really stressing about this and just think it's a foregone conclusion it's cancer.
Kim
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Cancer is the least likely diagnosis. If your last pap smear was 18 months ago and was normal and you have had fairly regular paps, the likelihood of a large cervical cancer that can be seen is almost zero. Cervical inflammation is usually due to infection or use of hormonal contraception or spermicides. It is hardly ever due to anything serious.