Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
54412793

Could I be pregnant? My tummy keeps contracting and can feel

Could I be pregnant? My tummy keeps contracting and can feel quite strong, my breasts look like they have got bigger and my nipples are very tender. I also feel like I'm being kicked.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne. I can help you today. If the pregnancy test is negative, the symptoms aren't due to pregnancy. Breast changes are common women get into their 40's. There are hormonal fluctuation that can cause the breasts to enlarge or get tender at times. The feeling of being kicked is most likely spasms in the muscles surrounding the bowels. The bowels have muscles in the walls and can have "twitching" just like you might get a "tic" in a muscle on the surface of your skin. If the pregnancy test is negative and you feel well otherwise, there is no need to do anything but take good care of yourself with proper exercise, diet, weight control, stress management and good sleep hygiene. If you don't feel well in other ways, checking in with your primary care physician and/or gynecologist could be a good idea to prepare for the changes coming up as you approach menopause. I hope this information has been reassuring and helpful. Please reply if I can clarify anything.