Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
54412793

My girlfriend was sent to antenatal assessment by a trainee

Hello my girlfriend was sent to antenatal assessment by a trainee OB who was concerned about the blood flow around our child's heart and believed the child was having heart pulpations on two different days a midwife assessed her and sent her home as no consultants were available and told her that she would have to wait until her next OB appointment for a decision on early inducement to be made, her OB said that the midwife is in a position to make this decision and she had received the appropriate level of care. Could you offer your opinion on this matter also my girlfriend was 37 weeks at this stage and a high risk pregnancy due to existing medical conditions and previous pregnancy issues
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne, Some of this may depend on where you are located and what resources are available for Ob care. Generally, at 37 weeks, we don't take any chances and would not send a woman home without consultation with a high risk pregnancy specialist. This is a perinatologist who in addition to 4 years of medical school, has had 4 years of Ob-Gyne training plus an additional 4 years of fellowship training in high risk pregnancy. At 37 weeks, a baby can usually be safely delivered if there is any risk. It's earlier gestational ages that are trickier. If you are uncomfortable with the recommendation you received, the best option would be to head to the labor delivery unit at the hospital. They would do an check on the baby and perhaps a high risk pregnancy specialist would be available on location there. I hope this was helpful. I hope all goes well. Good luck.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Anything else I can help with? I hope my answer was helpful.

If done, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks.