Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am 37, female and very obese. I spotted a dimple at the side

Customer Question

I am 37, female and very obese. I spotted a dimple at the side of my right breast. It disappears when I hold my hand up. I have sent two photos - one with the dimple, and one where you can't see it.
I don't feel any lump. No family history of breast cancer, have regular periods. No nipple discharge or retraction. No change in breast shape or texture (apart from the dimple).
Do you think it is weight related?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Most likely your dimple is weight related. It's very common for extra fat to cause extra dimples in many parts of the body.
Also, breast cancer usually occurs in older women. Although it can occur at age 37, it would be quite unusual.
It may be worthwhile to see your doctor for an exam, just to be more sure. I doubt that a mammogram is worthwhile at this time, but if the doctor has any doubts about the dimple, a mammogram would help to reassure you both. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Dr Norm,

I'm not keen on visiting doctors (have a bit of a phobia - my dad was my doctor and when he died I find it difficult to go to GP surgeries or hospitals).

If I monitor it over 4-5 months and if it hasn't changed it size, or if it hasn't caused any changes in my breast shape or texture then can I just leave it?

Also, do you think that it's significant that I only see it when my arm is down (as per the photo) but not when my muscles are flexed or when my arm is raised?

Thanks for answering my questions.

I think it would be very satisfactory for you to monitor the dimple over the next 4-5 months. If you notice no changes, I think you can ignore the dimple.
I don't think that it's significant that you only see it when your arm is down. dimpling is caused by fibrous connective tissue holding the skin down while the fat is trying to push it up. Dimples will often change with changes of position.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Finally Dr Norm, I wanted to ask if benign cysts or lumps cause dimples?

I will monitor it and if there are no changes then I'll ignore it.

Do you think the most likely reason is fat related?

Thanks for your help.

Breast cysts and lumps don't usually cause dimples, since they cause a pushing out rather than a pulling back. Cancer can cause some distortion of tissue, which results in the skin being pulled in.
By far the most likely reason is fat related.
You're welcome.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Dr Norm for a very detailed response.

You're welcome.
Thank you for your payment and rating.