Monika Hearne, M.D.
Monika Hearne, M.D., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  With experience and compassion, I treat my patients like family.
26166488

I am 31 and have only been sexually active with my husband

Customer Question

I am 31 and have only been sexually active with my husband and him likewise with me. When I was 19 at University I once had a rash on the outside of my vagina, there were spots which stung a bit but they went away after about a week. I was embarrassed and couldn't understand how I could have caught an std from my boyfriend (now husband) as we weren't even having sex then. We are now trying for a baby without success and I am wondering if I should get tested for an std even though this was years ago and I haven't had any other problems since. Advice much appreciated.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 2 years ago.
Hello,If your husband and you have never been with anyone else. then what you had at that time was not an STD. It was probably a skin infection which is why it cleared up spontaneously. An STD would spread from person to person and for you to get it from your boyfriend, he would have had to get it from someone else. Since you are planning for a baby, you can still go in for an STD test but not necessarily for the rash earlier.