Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I took ovulation tests a week ago (on Saturday and Sunday)

Customer Question

I took ovulation tests a week ago (on Saturday and Sunday) and they were positive on both days. A week later I started bleeding as if I am having a period, it's not very heavy but it's a vaginal blood. Is it possible to have your period just 7 days after
ovulation? I read from a number of sources that it's minimum 10-12 days? I had unprotected sex 2 days before ovulation. My period is 31 days on average and it would have been due, however, since I've taken the ovulation test a week ago and it was clearly positive,
I thought I had late ovulation. I am a bit worried regarding what's happening with me. I'd be grateful if you could let me know whether it is physiologically normal to have a period just one week after ovulation? Thank you.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
No, generally a period would not occur so soon after ovulaton. It is possible that this is breakthrough bleeding that can happen for no apparent reason. It could also be implantation bleeding. It would be a good idea to do a home pregnancy test in about 3 days.