Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I'm 40 next month, have been swimming and to an hour

Customer Question

I'm 40 next month, have been swimming and for up to an hour afterwards I had water pouring out of me to the extent I had to purchase new clothes. It was like waters breaking. I've had 1 vaginal birth 11 years ago. This is about the third or fourth time this has happened. I'm so embarrassed about the hole thing
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
When you swim, the water is getting inside your vagina, which is not too unusual. However, your internal anatomy has apparently changed, probably due to age plus the stretching from childbirth.
In any case, the water is pooling inside and apparently is not able to freely run back out when you stand up after swimming.
It's probably worthwhle seeing your doctor to be sure there is nothing abnormal that is obstructing the exit of the water. Assuming there is not, then it will be a matter of trying different positions to help the water to flow out. The upper, back part of the vagina is larger than the lower, front part, so there is space there for water to pool.
I suspect that bending forward or touching your toes may help the water to flow out. If that doesn't work, try other position, kneeling, bending side to side. Most likely you'll find a position where the water flows out. If you can empty it before you get dressed, then you won't have the problem of wetting your clothes. Best wishes.
Thank you for your payment and rating.