Monika Hearne, M.D.
Monika Hearne, M.D., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  With experience and compassion, I treat my patients like family.
26166488

I want to make sure I have no fallopian tubes, I have had

Customer Question

Hi, I want to make sure I have no fallopian tubes, I have had a hysterectomy and then both my ovaries removed - is it possible I could still have fallopian tubes? thanks
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Why are you concerned as to whether you have tubes or not? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Family history of ovarian cancer and personal history of endometriosis

The tubes are almost always removed when the ovaries are removed. It actually would be more difficult to remove the ovaries and leave the tubes. So the chance that you have your tubes is almost zero.However, there is no easy way to verify that, other than to ask your doctor or read the operative report. The tubes are small and won't usually show up on ultrasound.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I asked my surgeon and he seemed to have a job remembering ?!? so I wondered if it was like a standard practice in the Uk and if it made any difference by having the hysterectomy first and the ovaries removed later on which is what happened to me?

I'm in the US, but I'm pretty sure they do surgery about the same. I don't remember ever doing or seeing ovaries removed without also removing the tubes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am 47 and have history of severe endometriosis and have had laparoscopic surgery to include hysterectomy and ovaries removed,and bowel and bladder resections. ( 3 operations all together all keyhole) I also have one family member who had ovarian cancer.

I have just had an MRI to rule out new endometriosis or scar tissue affecting small bowel as I had abdominal symptoms. The only thing they mentioned apart from old scar tissue was a small amount of fluid but my consultant is not worried about it and said its from all the surgery I have had. Should I be worried? thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.