Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
54412793

I just started taking Gynera pills today July 27 My last period

I just started taking Gynera pills today July 27
My last period started on July 22
I'm anticipating having sex on August 3rd and my husband refuse to use condom or any protection method.
Will I be protected from pregnancy ?
I'm worried and thinking about taking 4 pills of Gynera right after having sex and another 4 like 12 hrs after
Will I be protected from pregnancy then ?!
I have no access to plan-B pills
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne. I can help you today. I'm sorry that your husband refuses to use condoms to help prevent an unintended pregnancy. So I'm glad that you've started on the pills. It helps that you started right after a period. On August 3rd, you will have taken 8 days worth. It's possible that's long enough to provide protection for this cycle. But it will also be day 13 of your cycle if it didn't. And that's a highly fertile time for most women. Usually we recommend women use back up until they've finished at least 14 days of pill but preferably one full pack. The method of using 4 pills and then 4 pills 12 hours later is called the Yuzpe method of morning after contraception. It uses some of the older types of pills. The Gynera is a newer type of pill that hasn't been specifically studied for effectiveness using the Yuzpe method. But since you have no access to plan B, it's well worth a try. That dose of pills will possibly cause nausea and it's important that you not vomit the pills up. So usually we have women take a sea sickness pill at the same time to prevent severe nausea. If possible, if you have access to a different type of birth control pill that has been researched, it might be better. Here is a link that gives you a list of the pills that are recommended for use: http://ec.princeton.edu/questions/dose.html I hope this information has been helpful. Let me know if I can clarify anything.