Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General practice
Experience:  I have had years of experience with Outpatient Medicine and have treated many routine GYN disorders.
18722459

I had a baby 18 months ago, it was a rough labour and ended

Customer Question

I had a baby 18 months ago, it was a rough labour and ended in a 3rd degree episiotomy and forceps, I was stitched up badly and within the hour they had came undone, I wasn't checked over before being discharged and ended up with a bad infection. since then I have been having problems with passing out, being sick, headaches, dizziness and vacant periods, tiredness and rapid weight gain, I have not had a period now in 7 months, before then I had a very light 3 day period which I had waited 4 months for, before that I had one every other month from 10 weeks postpartum, I have had ultrasound scans one private one nhs, the private scan said I had cysts on my ovaries where as the nhs scan said they was not on my ovaries but rather the ligaments next to them but that's it, my doctors do not care and are not trying to sort the problem rather just fill me with drugs which I don't want. please give me some reasons as to why this could be happening. I'm so scared I won't be able to have any more children
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Have you had your thyroid function checked and have you been checked for anemia?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hello, I have had full blood tests which the doctor said was fine but said my iron was a bit on the low side but nothing to be extremely worried about.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Do you happen to know what your TSH level was Chelsey--it's one of the measures of thyroid function?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm not sure they didn't tell me but I imagine if it was worrying they'd have mentioned it, could thyroid problems be cause the vacant periods ?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Indeed it could Chelsey

Everything you've told me sounds like a low thyroid problem and unless your TSH level is below 2.0 I'd consider you hypothyroid and I would treat you for that.

It may be that your doctor isn't aware of the newer guidelines for determining low thyroid and you should discuss this with him and I would refer you to an endocrinologist for this.

Let me know if you need more information please

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't know if this makes any difference but I have been taking ovulation tests and they are still coming up positive all though I am not menstruating but at the time of my period I have severe pain in my uterus and get a clear discharge, I have been tested for sexually transmitted infections and all were negative

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for that Chelsey but I still think the entire problem is your thyroid

Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

okay thank you :)

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure