Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy with bilateral solpingo

Hi, I had a total abdominal hysterectomy with bilateral solpingo oopherectomy on the 8th April. I was put on a progesterone only hrt. apart from suffering with the usual menopausal symptoms i have noticed that i have nipple discharge from both breasts. is this normal?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Nipple discharge is not common with progesterone only. A tiny amount of nipple discharge is common with manual expression only. Spontaneous discharge is concerning and should be evaluated by a physician. Progesterone only is not hrt. I am wondering why you would be on it after a hysterectomy. Normal protocol is estrogen only unless there is a contraindication.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There seemed to have been a mix up between my surgeon and my doctor and the wrong medication was prescribed. i have just been changed to a duel hrt but only started 3 days ago and the discharge first occured over the weekend. ( i have a long history of gynae problems, 6 miscarriages, benign tumor in my womb, 13 operations to remove cysts and endometriosis.) i am confused as to how i could have milky discharge when 1, ive not breastfed my son for well over a year now and 2 that i had a complete hysterectomy. i have many other menopausal symptoms but the discharge is freaking me out quite a bit.