Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

HiIm 36 years old.me and my husband been trying to have a

Customer Question

Im 36 years old.me and my husband been trying to have a baby for 4 months now. Not been gettinng pregant. I get the timing right. Get a positive in ovulation test and time making love right. I had a progestrone test done on day 21 and it was normal which means i am ovulating as my gp has said. Iv had a hycosy test done and evrything is normal. I had a misccariage in 2000 and i had an abortion 3 years ago but that was with my ex . My period stopped for 6 months and chaning the pill helped bring them back. My amh test shown was 5.02. So i was thinking as my amh is so low then would i still fall pregant naturally or would need to have ivf? My period are like clockwork . 28 days long or maybe a day late. The period is like brown colour then redand its 6 days long.i feel scared that i wont get pregnant again. I dont really want ivf as i dont want to talk about my past abortion and misccariage as my husband doesnt know.can u please advise why im not getting pregnant and whats my chances of geting pregnant with such a low amh? Thanks
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
Is your amh 5 or 0.5? If it is 5, it is not low, it is high, and indicates PCO or polycystic ovarian syndrome. If it is 0.5 it is low and pregnancy is not likely. You should wait 6 months and see an infertility specialist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My amh is 5. I dont have pco. I have had a scan. Everything is normal and i dont have cysts 9n my ovaries. A gyneacologist checked it and said i dont have pco..im getting worried that u said to see an infertilty specialist. What my chances of concieving if my level is 5? I had hucosy test. Everything is normal on that too.

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
If your amh is 5, then you do have pco. The ultrasound is not necessarily abnormal and is not a good diagnostic tool Your history of no period for 6 months, an abnormal amh and infertility strongly points to pco. You should proceed to ivf if you are not pregnant after 6 cycles.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had bloods done and gp said the ultrasound said and bloods show u dont have pco. I dint have a period for 6 months after the abortion .gyneacologist said to me that could happen after an abortion..

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
Again, bloodwork does not indicate pco. And yes, no period is common after abortion but not 6 months. Amh of 5 is due to hormonal imbalance. I realize you do not want to believe that, so I am sorry, but thats the case. You are getting some incorrect information.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will have to book an appointment to see my gp again. They didnt tell me this. Would u know if clomid or metformin will help me concieve? If u say i have pco.. I have been using ovuatiin test kit and on day 14 i get a positive. Also on day 21 progestr9ne test was done. Which was normal range.

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
Those test results are good but the AMH is not. Yes both Metformin and Clomid may help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If im getting positive on ovulation test. Does it mean i am ovulating? As i may have pco would i still get a positive on ovulaion test?

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
It may mean you are ovulating but does not rule out a hormonal issue I would also consider repeating the amh
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Middle of the cycle i have pain in my uterus. This has been hapening for the past 3 months. Do u know why i have pain. Somtimes its on my left side or right side. I have had scans but it doesnt show any cysts or any abnormalities.

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
About half of pelvic pain is not able to be diagnosed as to a cause. It most likely means nothing if the ultrasound is normal Please consider a positive rating for the time I have spent answering all your questions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ofcourse i will give you a postive rating. It just makes me worried that somthing is wrong coz i am havinf this pelvic pain hence im not getting pregnant. Why i have this pain this pain mid cycle. I have booked to see gp next week wednesday . Can u tell me what tests i could have done. And is pelvic pain associated with infertilty ....just dont know who to turn to or what to do but i feel pain and feel somthing is wrong..although i have had hycosy. Internal 3 ultrasound scan. Bloods etc..

I have also booked to have my amh levels done again. As u have said.

Thanks you have been very kind

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
You don't need any more testing. Pain is not associated with infertility unless you have endometriosis.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had thr hycosy test so that would have shown if have endometriosis?

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
No. It would not