Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am 47 and have history of severe endometriosis and have had

Customer Question

I am 47 and have history of severe endometriosis and have had laparoscopic surgery to include hysterectomy and ovaries removed,and bowel and bladder resections. ( 3 operations all together all keyhole) I also have one family member who had ovarian cancer.
I have just had an MRI to rule out new endometriosis or scar tissue affecting small bowel as I had abdominal symptoms. The only thing they mentioned apart from old scar tissue was a small amount of fluid but my consultant is not worried about it and said its from all the surgery I have had. Should I be worried? thanks
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.

I wouldn't be worried. A small amount of fluid is fairly common and considered normal. The fluid is a normal product of the peritoneum, the lining of the abdomen.

Sometimes extra fluid is caused from leaking from an ovarian cyst or any irritation of the peritoneum. That may be what your doctor is referring to. Often there is no cause that we can find for extra abdominal fluid.

Extra fluid can also come from ovarian and other types of cancer, but the growth of cancer would be seen on the MRI if that were the cause.