Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am a 35 year old female. I had a cervical smear test

Hi, I am a 35 year old female. I had a cervical smear test last year that came back showing slight abnormalities (cin 1) with evidence of hpv. I had a colposcopy and the cin 1 cells were removed by loop diothermy. I had another cervical smear 6 months later that came back as normal. My question is (and I sincerely ***** ***** is rather embarrassing) I had unprotected anal sex a few times in my early twenties with my then boyfriend and I am really worrying about the possibility of getting HPV related cancer because of it. Is this something I should be worrying about. From what I have read so far there is no screening done anally and anal cancer is rare. Please can you help me look at this rationally.
Annabel
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.

You're correct that anal cancer is rare, as opposed to cervical abnormalities which are very common from hpv. At present, screening for anal cancer is not recommended other than evaluating any abnormalities found at the anus.

You are far more likely to get other cancers, especially breast, colon, lung if you smoke, uterine.

Cancer is mostly a disease of older people, and that includes anal cancer, with 80% of anal cancers diagnosed in people over age 60.

If you develop any abnormality in your anus, it's worthwhile to have it checked, but you're very unlikely to develop anal cancer, in spite of having had anal sex with possible exposure to hpv in the anus.
Thank you for your payment and rating and the generous bonus!