Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am on the sixth day of antibiotic course to get rid of

Hi, I am on the sixth day of antibiotic course to get rid of a bartolyns cyst. I was at emergency on Friday but the doctor said no surgery was needed as the cyst was not an abcess yet. My go actually referred me to the hospital to solve the problem definitely as it is the 5th time I get it. The cyst is not painful but still quite swallen. Should I go back to the hospital trying to get a marsupialuzation? Or take more antibiotics? Thanks elena
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello Elena, and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
How large is the cyst?
What surgeries have you already had? Were they to open and drain the cyst, or do something more? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The previous surgeries were just to drain the cyst. I'd say it is the size of a small apricot.
Antibiotics won't help unless there is an infection, and with no pain, there apparently is no infection.A Bartholin cyst needs to be a certain size in order to be able to do a marsupialization. A large apricot size would probably work, but a small apricot may not.Usually an OB/GYN doctor is the best person to see for evaluation and treatment of a Bartholin cyst. If you haven't seen one, I would try to get a referral.In the US, we often prefer to place a small tube, called a Word catheter into a Bartholin cyst. We leave the tube in for 6 weeks, and it forms a permanent opening, like a marsupialization is supposed to do. It can often be done with a cyst that is too small for doing a marsupialization.However, as long as you see an OB/GYN with experience dealing with Bartholin cysts, they'll generally be able to figure it out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks a lot. I will try to see an OB/GYN asap. Thanks a million for your reply. It's been very helpful.
You're welcome.Please click on the rating button. Thank you.
Thank you for your payment and rating.