Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

My niece who is 19 has been bleeding 7 weeks straight.

Customer Question

My niece who is 19 has been bleeding 7 weeks straight. On wed evening she had severe pain in her tummy and went to the on call doc who gave her a Difene injection and a letter to go to A&E the following day. We went to a&e yesterday and an internal scan was done. This showed that the lining of the womb was very thin and that a folicle on the left ovary should b 25cm but hers was only 16cm. The doc told her she shouldn't b bleeding as he couldn't see any signs of blood and that she shouldn't have pain. He sent her hme and will re do the internal scan in 10 days. She got no pain relief or anything.
Can anyone advise me please as I'm not happy with the decision but I'm no expert.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Is she on birth control?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes she is.
She had the bar in her arm which was replaced as the time was up. When it was replaced the second time she started to bleed which her GP decided to remove it and she got the birth control injection instead. Since the second bar was entered all this started.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Well the Nexplanon has been removed. The shot which is depoprocera is exactly the same. Extended bleeding is a side effect of both methods. She can take one month of an oral birth control pill. This should do the trick.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Her GP did that between the second bar and the injection and it didn't work.
Is there anything else she could do.
Lorraine
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
She can stop the shot but that takes a while. She can take estrogen only for 3 weeks. That does trick in most cases.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your help dr. K.
I just got a bit worried as I'm a breast cancer survivor and didn't want her to be told it was anything serious. I will tell her it's nothing to worry about and just stop the injection and go on estrogen.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
She would only need to take the estrogen for two weeks to build up the uterine lining.nthen switch to the pill.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very very much for all your help. I'm delighted with all the answers you've given me. I will be talking to my God Daughter later and will pass on all the information. I will also b asking the chemist about the estrogen that she can take.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Good luck