Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
54412793

My daughter is almost 26 weeks pregnant with twin boys who

Customer Question

My daughter is almost 26 weeks pregnant with twin boys who she has felt kick. The last 2 days they have been quiet. She is taking subutex in a low dose for addiction problems and wonders if this maybe affecting the babies. Is it normal for babies to ' go quiet' ?
Cath K
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne with 20 years of experience. I can help you today. I'm sorry that you're having this worry about your daughter and grandchildren. Usually shortly after a woman begins to feel kicking, it's common to have extended quiet times. This is true from about 18 to 24 weeks. After 24 weeks, we don't expect there to be 2 days of quiet. It's possible all is well but I do recommend that she go to the hospital to be checked. Before she goes, she can try drinking a glass of juice and laying on her side for 15 minutes. If they still don't seem normal, she should go in to be checked. If all is well, it would be a reassuring false alarm. That is better than taking chances. I hope it turns out to be a false alarm and all goes well for the rest of the pregnancy. Let me know if I can clarify anything.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you we will. Do you think her medication could be having an effect?

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, that's possible. But it's still a change from what she was feeling before, and it's best to be checked just to be sure. Hopefully she's under the care of an OB with experience in managing addiction issues in pregnancy.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

she is under a good consultant and has spoken to her midwife. Thank you for you time.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Good. Then all should be well in the end. Good luck.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
I hope the quiet time is a temporary false alarm.