Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
54412793

I am 50yrs old and not had a period due to contraception...first

I am 50yrs old and not had a period for 20yrs due to contraception...first the depo injection then the coil. Myself and my partner really want a child together...will this be possible?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob gyne with 30+ years of experience. I can help you today. This would most likely be possible if you are willing to use a donated egg. At age 50, the chance of spontaneous pregnancy is very very low, perhaps 4% max, while the risk of miscarriage is very high, at least 50-75%. Also the risk of chromosomal abnormalities such as Downs syndrome is VERY high, at least 10%. With a donor egg, the chances of pregnancy is at least 60-80%, depending on which center you use for the IVF and the risk of miscarriage returns to the age of the donor. The risk of chromosomal problems also decreases down to the age of the donor. I hope this information was helpful.