Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I usually have a light menstrual flow that last to 6

i usually have a light menstrual flow that last for 5 to 6 days but this time my bleeding is very heavy with clots and severe cramps.Please how do i do ?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Did this period start when expected?Do you have regular periods?Do you use anything for birth control? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it started within the expected days.Yes I do have regular periods.Yes I do take birth control pills once in a while (Postinor 2)
What do you mean that you take the pill once in a while? You don't take it every day?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh I see which means it's not birth control pills I take. It's morning after pills that covers 72 hours of sexual intercouse.
Have you taken the morning after pill lately?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I did take on the 11th of July.Since then I haven't taken about because I have not been sexually active
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to mention that I have been taking diet coffee/tea for weight loss for 2 weeks now.
How much weight have you lost?When did your last period start before this one?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The last time I checked, I lost about 5kg.
My last period started on the 19th and Ended on the 25th of July.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I saw my period on 31st of August briefly then it stopped. The next day 1st of september the severe cramps and heavy bleeding and clots started at 12 midnight running through till about 4am. The the flow reduced until this afternoon after having brunch say 12:45,it started again with heavy bleeding with clots and severe cramps. Someone had to go get me Feminax Ultra NAproxen that eased the paid and now the bleeding is like normal.
I suspect that this period is heavy and cramping are probably due to the weight loss. Losing weight can have a big effect on periods.Unless the bleeding is so heavy that it worries you, I would give it time and see if it doesn't calm down on its own soon. I would take ibuprofen 3-4 times daily.If the bleeding or cramping are excessive, then better see your doctor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes this heavy bleeding worries me infact it scares me but like you mentioned I would give it another day which is tomorrow and see what happens. If it doesn't calm down on its own I would go see a doctor. As for Ibuprofen, I have taken 2 tablets around 5pm which has eased the cramps but will take another 2 tabs in few mins before I go to bed.
Good. You can take 600mg ibuprofen 4 times daily as needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do and also keep you posted on the outcome tomorrow. Thanks Doctor
You're welcome.Please click on the ratings button. Thank you.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Thank you for your payment and rating.