Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
54412793

Is it possible to see a positive on a pregnancy test 10 days after int

Is it possible to see a positive on a pregnancy test 10 days after intercourse? Is it normal for heavy bleeding the day after the positive test, and what does this mean? Is it possible for the digital test to show pregnancy of 2-3 weeks, although it was
only 10 days since intercourse? Will a scan show anything 3 weeks after intercourse? Is it possible to take 5 tests and one be negative?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your question. What test was done? What was the result?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The girl claims It was a clear blue test and it was positive.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, For the tests to more reliable and dependable you need to wait at least one week after a missed period. Home pregnancy tests are more reliable and accurate when used according to package instructions one week after a missed period. A few days earlier than a week, some home pregnancy tests might not be as precise. To confirm to a pregnancy right away a blood test can be done to detect HCG. This is more sensitive than a urine test. Take care. Please rate the answer with a positive rating. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry your answer does not address what I have said and is very generic, I could've googled that info myself.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, What is your concern? Please provide more details. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like a second opinion my concerns are clearly highlighted in my original question which you clearly failed to read properly. Thank you for your time however I would like another specialist to answer my question.
Expert:  Dr. Hoellering replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
please give me some more information:
When did your last period start?
When did you have sex?
When did you do the tests?
Did the bleeding continue like a normal period?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am asking these questions on behalf of someone else who is making claims that I am very skeptical about.She took the test before her period claiming that a doctor asked her to do so before going on the monthly pill. She has not missed her period yet. She had sex on the 18th of August at night, she took the clear blue test Saturday 29 August in the am. She claims the bleeding occurred on the Sunday 30th, she said it was painful and happened for 3 hours. She then claims she took another clear blue digital which stated a pregnancy duration of 2-3 weeks. She said in total she took 8 tests one showed negative, all clear blue.
Thank you for those informations.
The Clearblue test may be positive 4 days before the expected onset of period. So: If your friend started with her last period about the 1st of August, had sex on the 18th and took the test on the 29nth, it could have been reliably positive. It may be than one of five was negative because it was not handled properly.
A test can be positive 10 days after intercourse. The bleeding might be a sign of an interrupted pregnancy. In that case a test 14 days later would be negative. A scan wouldn't show anything reliable, but blood works at the OB (HCG) would give a definite answer.
If something is not clear yet, please let me know!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. However what confuses me is how the clear blue digital showed her 2-3 weeks pregnant 10 days after intercourse? What is an interrupted pregnancy? she said the bleeding has occurred regularly since she took the test. She also claims she had cancerous cells on her ovaries which she had removed 7 weeks ago. She said she has been in pain. So a scan this coming Wednesday would not show anything? How else can a pregnancy be dated if scan is not suitable? She claims the first day of her last period was 6th August.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any views you have on my last question would be greatly appreciated.
Please excse my late answer. Your question was blocked for me accidentially.
If she conceived on the 18th, she is in her 2nd week 10 days after conceiving. Which is what the test said. The bleeding may have been a sign for miscarriage (interrupted pregnancy), but mustn't. Some women bleed when they are still pregnant.
Pregnancy is dated by the first day of the last period and from the HCG levels. Later ist the ultrasound helpful.
Without ovaries she can't get pregnant....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pregnancy test she took has readings of 1-2 weeks, 2-3 weeks and 3+ weeks. Surely if she conceived on the 18th and took the test 10 days later, the reading would be 1-2 weeks?Also is it true that the doctor requests you take a pregnancy test before going on the pill? She claims this was her original reason for taking the test before missing her period.She claims the cancerous cells on her ovaries were removed and not her actual ovaries.Look forward to your answers
Yes, 1-2 weeks.
If the doctor wanted a test, he wouldn't rely on a home test.
If ovaries have cancer, you remove them and don't prescribe the pill.
Too much is weird here. We should stop wasting our time with these stories.
All the best@
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
???I know a lot is weird here I am seeking medical advice as I feel this person is lying to me and she using the statements to manipulate me. I paid for this service and really do not appreciate that you feel like it's a waste of time. If you no longer have any interest to help me please refer me to someone who will.
You misunderstood me: I suspect, actually, that this person is not telling the truth. Will you really waste YOUR time with these stories?
I think I helped you a whole lot. I answered your original question patiently and a couple mor questions on top of it. I don't think somebody else will help you even more if your second doctor opts out. Nobody likes to work without credit.
So I suggest: If there is still anything not quite clear, ask me a last question and be polite enough to honor my effort with a friendly rating. If you still want me to opt out, I will do that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With all due respect, although you have been helpful initially I do feel like now you are trying to rush my inquest. Yes it seems she is lying but I am trying to get as much information as possible before I disregard her story as that is a risk.If you feel like you can only answer one more question, I'm afraid that doesn't really help me, and would prefer to be transferred for a different opinion.Thank you
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne with 30+ years of experience. I can help you with accurate and detailed information. Yes it's possible to have a positive home urine pregnancy test 10 days after conception. Especially if the first morning urine is used. Dehydration concentrates the pregnancy hormone in the urine leading to an earlier positive. Because the test result in very early pregnancy is hydration dependent, if a woman drinks a lot of water before taking the test, it can revert to negative, followed by positive again later. Once a woman reaches 21 days after conception, the pregnancy hormone is high enough that even drinking a lot of water before taking the test won't cause a false negative. The reason the test is saying 2-3 weeks is because it's using "gestational age" not conception age. This is a source of great confusion. When we date a pregnancy we almost always are talking about gestational age which measures from when the last period would have been. That's 2 weeks before conception. So a pregnancy of gestational age 2-3 weeks is actually just 0-7 days along. The hormone levels in early pregnancy are very variable so the estimates that come with these tests are not that reliable. In order to figure out whether you are the father or not, there are 2 possible ways to proceed. The first is to have her get an ultrasound once she gets to about 7-10 weeks GESTATIONAL age, that is 5-8 weeks after the conception date. An ultrasound done at that time is the most accurate way of figuring out conception date short of DNA paternity testing. Once you have that report in hand, you can return here and scan the report into a chat using the paperclip icon on your screen. Also I'll need the dates you had sex. This may be enough information to say 100% that you are not the father. But if we can't say 100%, DNA paternity testing will be needed. I can let you know if that's needed once I have the ultrasound report. If you don't trust her, be sure you have the copy of the report with her name and the date of the ultrasound. Please reply if I can clarify anything. I want to be sure you have the most helpful information for your situation.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Any questions? If none, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the thorough response. Are you sure clear blue digital measure from the gestational stage? As I have looked online and found that they measure from date of conception?Is it true the doctor asks for a pregnancy test if she has asked to go back on the pill? Would the doctor allow you to go home and take a home test?She had sex 18/08/16 she states she took the test on 29/08/16. She is going for a scan today, she will not allow me to come with her to confirm the pregnancy. Will she even see anything on the scan?What does the heavy bleeding mean? She also claims she had cancerous cells on her ovaries and had said cells removed. She also claims that in 2011 she had a miscarriage after 7 months.Everytime I ask her for any evidence she panicks and starts saying I'm being insensitive. I've tried to be as supportive and understanding as I can be but she is simply bending over backwards not to prove its true. What are my rights here?Thank you
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Let me double check but it really doesn't matter, if you checked than you're right on that one. The reason it doesn't matter is that unfortunately those tests that give you weeks of the pregnancy based on the HCG number aren't very accurate whether they use weeks from conception or gestational age. That's because the beta-HCG pregnancy hormone level can vary by a lot in early pregnancy. They are especially impacted by hydration so if a woman has been drinking a lot of water or hasn't had any water to drink for 8 hours before the test, it will give different readings of weeks pregnant. Sometimes this can cause the test to go from positive to negative and back to positive. After 21 days post conception, the test will be consistently positive no matter hydration. Yes sometimes the doctor will want a pregnancy test prior to a new contraception start but they would run it in the office. I suppose if the woman said she had one at home already and didn't want to pay for an in office one I might accept that. But in reality, I've yet to have a woman say that in 30+ years of experience. Most women are quite anxious to get a pregnancy test result ASAP and are more than happy that it can be done immediately in the doctors office. Yes it's possible for a test to be positive 11 days after the sex. Usually conception occurs very quickly after the sex, within 12 hours. But sometimes it can occur up to 7 days later depending on how long the sperm survives inside the genital tract and when the woman releases the egg. A positive test at 11 days with a home urine test would require the woman be slightly dehydrated. If well hydrated, often they won't turn positive until 14-18 days after. You do have a typo with the year which I assume you mean 15 not 16. It's unusual that the doctor would be ordering an ultrasound this early unless there was a question of whether the pregnancy is viable or not or if the doctor was concerned about an ectopic pregnancy. At 5 weeks we do usually see a gestational sac but not the fetal pole for measuring yet. Sometimes we get a clue if things are on the right track by measuring the sac but it's not so helpful in determining conception date. You mention heavy bleeding so maybe that's why she's getting the scan. Heavy bleeding is bleeding more than a typical period, bleeding heavy enough to interfere with her plans. If she had cancerous cells on her ovaries, her entire ovaries would have been removed. We do not biopsy or remove only part of the ovary in cases of ovarian cancer because it spreads the cells throughout the abdomen leading to very poor outcome. Perhaps she had a variant called a tumor of low malignant potential. Sometimes that can be misunderstood as a type of cancer in which we would remove just the cysts and leave the ovaries behind. So if she didn't understand what the doctor explained, she might interpret it as having had cancer. We don't use the term "miscarriage" when talking about a 7 month pregnancy. That would be a "fetal demise". I think that your rights here are to determine whether you are the father or not. And if so, to do right by your child. The woman doesn't sound like the best person to be trying to build a relationship with. To try to engage rationally with her sounds like a waste of your good energy. I hope this was helpful.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much, you have been excellent. Can we keep this avenue of communication open incase I have any more questions as you have answered my questions perfectly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She claims to be getting the scan today, she has refused to have me present. No doubt she will give me information after she claims she has been. It would be great if I could cross reference with you what she says.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
It's easy to get me again if you use the box on my profile page and write in the header "Dr. C. Only please - I'll wait". http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-c-/?rpt=3800# ***** follow-up questions to this post are included in this thread, but site guidelines require a new thread for new questions. Be sure to see the report and verify the name and date. But be very careful since I know Photoshop and know how easy it is to alter information on a copy.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
If done for now, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks. I'll be on the lookout for your follow-up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, there has been developments.We went to the scan on Wednesday, the clinic was an abortion clinic and they refused to let me in with her, stating it was their policy and she claimed she was oblivious to this.She came out and explained that an external scan showed nothing, so she had an internal scan which showed that she was 3 weeks in gestation (3 weeks from Wednesday was 19 August 2015, the day after she originally claimed conception). This makes no sense.She now refuses to show me any official medical records of her pregnancy, nor confirm it in any other way as she feels like she has done enough and does not want to do anymore.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
My advice is to request paternity testing. This can be done after the 8th week of pregnancy: http://americanpregnancy.org/prenatal-testing/paternity-testing/ If she refuses, you need to get advice on how to force her legally to get paternity testing. What state do you live in? I can try to find the information you need to get help.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience: 30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator