Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
54412793

Iv gave birth to my daughter 14 month ago and breast fed her

iv gave birth to my daughter 14 month ago and breast fed her untill she was 6 months since then my period hasnt started and i now that im not pregnant again.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne. I can help you. Since it's been 6 months since you finished breast feeding, the periods should have come back by now. Because they haven't, it could be a sign of thyroid disorder which can sometimes come out after a pregnancy. So a blood test for thyroid disorder and also a hormone called prolactin should be drawn. There are other reasons for missing periods including stress, medications and some others. The doctor could possible also check some other hormone levels such as estradiol and FSH to see if the ovaries have shut down. They may also give you some progesterone hormone for 10 days to try to jump start the period. I'm glad that you decided to start figuring out what is going on. Check in with your OB about this to get evaluation started. I hope it's simple and the period gets going again soon. Let me know if you have any questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
im on the mini pill could that be it
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, the mini pill will stop the period from coming since it doesn't contain any inactive pills. Anything else?