Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I'm 7 weeks pregnant and about two weeks ago started

Customer Question

I'm 7 weeks pregnant and about two weeks ago started bleeding/spotting.
It is mainly brownish in colour but sometimes a light red colour.
It always seems to be worse in the morning and is nowhere near as heavy as a period.
Whenever I wipe is when I notice it and it leaves a slight stain on my underwear.
I have had a few what I would call twinges in my abdomen but I wouldn't call it cramping as I hear the cramping that women get when it may be miscarriage can be quite painful. I have not had any pain not even to the same cramping pain of a period.
Is all ok, I worry that I am bleeding/spotting??
I do not have midwife yet as it was too soon for my first appointment
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Bleeding in early pregnancy may mean that a miscarriage will happen, but sometimes the bleeding stops, and the pregnancy continues normally.The way to know is to have an ultrasound. If there is a normal heartbeat, then most of the time the pregnancy will be normal. A heartbeat can usually be seen by 6 weeks.Other than an ultrasound, there is no way to know.If it is a miscarriage, at some point the bleeding will become heavier with cramps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Does the colour of blood make a miscarriage any more likely or unlikely? I have heard that if it is bright red and heavy it is more likely to be a sign of miscarriage?

Brown blood is old blood no? Why would I have old blood and how would this be a sign of miscarriage?

Any bleeding is a possible sign of miscarriage, but that doesn't mean that a miscarriage will occur. Time will tell. If the miscarriage is happening, then the bleeding usually gets heavy and red with cramps and clots. Until then it's just a potential miscarriage.Yes, brown blood is old blood.