Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 years of experience in OBGYN & women's health care.
18657704

Monika, I recently ceased Tibolone as my doctor felt, after 8yrs and reaching age 60,

Hi Monika,
I recently ceased Tibolone as my doctor felt, after 8yrs and reaching age 60, it was a risk. For two months I have had nothing, waiting to see what my natural state would be. I am suffering with terrible hot flushes and night sweats, with very little sleep. Headaches, clumsiness and memory lapses. Also, vaginal dryness. Today I saw my doctor who has prescribed Colpotrofin cream to apply every day for a week and then 3times a week thereafter. Can I expect this to solve the problem and regain enjoyment? Will I begin to secrete naturally again or might I need a lubricant also? Presumably it will not reignite my healthy desire?
It's all rather depressing. Tibolone served me well and I felt 'young' - desiring my partner and often initiating love making. Now I don't often think about it? I am beginning to think it is worth the risks and returning to Tibolone. What is your view?
Cathy.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am privileged to help you get more understanding about your current concern. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or Skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.A few questions first to clarify your concern:1. Do you still have your uterus?2. Do you have any other medical problems? If so what are they?3. Are you taking any other medications at this time? If so what?4. In what country do you live?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. Yes I do have my uterus
2. I have high blood pressure
3. I take Losartan 100mg for B.P.
4. I am English, living in Spain (so don't always understand everything the doctors say!)
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your responses. I am concerned that you were/are taking unopposed estrogen (Tibolone & Colpotrofin), meaning estrogen without a progesterone. This is important to protect your uterus from becoming hyper-stimulated & developing hyperplasia (excess endometrial growth) which can lead to endometrial cancer. So please discuss the addition of a progesterone with your provider .. BTW is your doctor an OBGYN? In terms of the effects of the current medication Colpotrofin to resolve your vaginal dryness, well that depends on the dose, how extensive the dryness, but typically woman start to feel relief by the week 2-4. So be patient, you will get relief. Once you are feeling relief then your dose can be reduced to 2-3x/week. Your sexual desire will be inhibited by vaginal discomfort, so yes getting the relief will help. It is also important to keep yourself well hydrated. The vagina is a system, and like all systems does require sufficient nutrients to do its job. Water is a major body nutrient along with minerals & vitamins. So if you are lacking in either (& if you drink caffeinated products which can exacerbate dryness, dehydration) this will exacerbate the vaginal dryness. Let me know if you have any further questions