Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
54412793

Been bleeding with clots weeks, norithesterone? Did not

Been bleeding with clots for 5 weeks, norithesterone? Did not agree with me transgenic avid (spelling wrong) did nothing to help Pap smear aparently ok despite being done during significant bleeding and being swabbed first., I am despairing of this situation. I am 47 active and no significant previous symptoms other than becoming more heavy with age, the cycle not me. What should I do
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne. I can help you today. I'm sorry that you're having so much trouble with bleeding. It's important that you have a proper evaluation. This include blood tests for thyroid disorder and anemia. Next a pelvic ultrasound to check for polyps, fibroids and other abnormalities of the uterus that may cause abnormal bleeding. Lastly an endometrial biopsy to be certain of the hormonal status and eliminate precancer and cancer as a cause. Usually abnormal bleeding at age 47 is due to hormones and can be controlled by hormones. But since in your situation, treatment hasn't worked as yet, more evaluation is needed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
At which stage does this become an acute problem. I have had an under active thyroid for 20+ years. Many thanks, ***** ***** that hormone blood tests are unreliable by my gp
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
It's an acute problem if the amount of bleeding is heavy enough to scare you or if feeling dizzy or weak. Hormone blood tests covers a lot of types of tests. I agree that estrogen, progesterone and testosterone levels aren't as useful as a lot of people think they are. I do order them in very specific situations. Thyroid testing is more reliable but don't always detect significant thyroid disease if just a TSH is ordered. Any other questions?